Saturday, August 25, 2012

Away in Vermont

It has been over two weeks, and I have been away from the computer and the internet, immersing myself in the observation of an incredibly biodiverse ecosystem that I can only dream of recreating in this lot next door.  I was in my former homeland, the countryside of Vermont.  Being there was a reminder to myself of where I take much of my gardening inspiration.  I stayed with a friend who lives up a top a mountain with a breathtaking view and a huge garden, orchard, chickens, vineyard, and in the past there's been sheep and pigs.  It was not only the gardening way of her and her partner that was interesting to me, but the incredible insect metropolis that ran the land with its wild field of goldenrod and milkweed and joe pye weed.  It brought me such joy to watch the fields and observe the many layers of flying beings.  Crickets, and grasshoppers, beetles and ladybugs.  Dragonflies, hummingbirds, bumble bees, hornets, butterflies.  Ravens, heron, woodpeckers, roosters.  (not to mention the pack of coyotes howling nearby at night.)  It was all so reviving.  It made me think about the ecosystem in the lot next door.  Where I had lamented cucumber beetles, I now saw cucumber beetles as part a million more bugs I couldn't identify.  It made me realize how few bugs there are in the lot.  That being said, it was such a nice greeting when I returned to the garden here and was met by the constant visiting Monarch who seems to love the mexican sunflower that sits center in the garden!  I feel one major goal has been accomplished - create a giant welcome mat for monarchs and other butterflies.  (more on that later)

As of now, I feel I need to play a little "catch up" with entries, and get up and posted many of the things I saw and the issues I have been mulling over.  So, stay "posted" for the latest.


No comments:

Post a Comment