Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lot Next Door


It seems a fitting moment to share a poem I wrote just after we had moved into this house, and the lot sat empty for the season.  A moment from April 2011 brought to light in the current September 2012....


Lot Next Door

I.
Like an ancient archeology site,
rubble litters the plot
telling of former family
home foundations.

Dandelion, plantain, clover, and henbit,
pioneer plants,
now hold the future
of this forgotten plot.

An old tall tree with a dead limb stands on the edge
and neighbors the house next door
barely standing
with sticks and boards.
And it waits,
watching to see what will happen next.

II.
Tossed seeds in hopes of lupines, asters and poppies
become breakfast for hungry Starling.

And we wait
and we watch
and we listen to the land and its endless stories that
seem to rush by as if eroding in heavy rains.

It wants children to play on it.
Pups to roll on it.
Flowers to grow from it
and a community to kiss it.

Now, the fence doubled over
is a cut-spot for teenage feet
haphazardly traversing the treacherous path. 

And I dream of an opening in the fence.
And I dream of a house in the tree.
And I dream of beds
and flowers
and fruit
and children
being tucked into Mother Earth’s arms.

And I look at the lot
and watch.

And I walk on the lot
and wait.

And I consider what it’ll take
to uncover its nature,
its history
and bring forth its future.

And I wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment