Friday, August 9, 2013

Hope Transforms

Yesterday, I received a timely surprise postcard from a good friend with a quote from Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.  It read:

"Man's hope can paint a purple picture, 
can transform a SOARING VULTURE 
into a noble eagle or moaning dove."

She had sent it to me to because I had told her about a vulture that I had witnessed one early evening, perched up on the chimney of the house next door.  My daughter, Rosemary, and I had been out saying goodnight to the moon, it had been near Full, when the giant bird made his presence known expanding his wings as if to flap them dry.  He clicked his sharp beak across the top of the chimney.  And after several serious gazing moments, he took flight, dropping into the air, soaring right over Rosemary & I's head.  I almost thought he was going to pick one of us up.  I thought, something dead is near.

Currently, I am facing many deaths in my life, and I believe with every death comes Life.  This vulture, a hunter of the dead, the Gray Lady in bird form, who cleans up the dirty remains inspired me.  I took it as a great acknowledgment from the Universe that I am on my Path, and Death is necessary and glorious (just look at how he flew!).

Coincidentally, as part of the August Postcard Poetry Fest I am participating in (http://poetrypostcards.blogspot.com/) I just sent out postcards the past two days with poems about doves.  I will share one here, in the spirit of man's hope transforming a soaring vulture into a moaning dove.


Doves Separated

If you close the door
you won't hear the Dove, or
see his beauty or
feel his love.

You cannot have it both ways.
Quiet and joy is matched with pain.

He is unescapable
on every post and wire
unmated, lamenting,
as if his nest is on fire.

Close the door
and the coos will still vibrate,
for the Mourning Dove feels
with great weight
being separate.

written August 6, 2013


--------------------

As SMO wrote:
a large bird swooping from every rooftop
to surprise us all.

Thank you, smo!

---------------------
finally, for you to hear doves now where you are...
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/mourning_dove/sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment