Sunday, July 22, 2012

The "yellow ladybug"

AAAH! Attack of the cucumber beetle!


well, wouldn't it just be that the things I am growing the most of have invited the most deadly of pests of all!  The striped cucumber beetle.  I am growing lots of cucumbers, melons, squash and pumpkins... all potential victims!  The zucchini has been showing some rot and wilting (thanks to this beetle feeding in the wounds and spreading bacteria) and when I was investigating further this morning as to what was up I discovered this yellow and black insect.  Noah also told me today that he saw a yellow lady bug in the greenhouse.  He most likely thought it was a welcome sight, as he has often bought bags of live real lady bugs to help eat all & control the aphid population in his aquaponics system.  Alas, we've got some serious trouble on our hands.  I'm trying not to freak out, but it is definitely stressful.  
With the soil as poor as it is, I feel like we are working very hard to build up the nutrients to make the plants stronger.  It can feel like we're trying to build a dam on a raging river!  

Well, I'm going to post this and be done with it for now, and write of other things until I can go at this situation properly in the morning.

taking a deep breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment