Friday, May 17, 2013

Goodbye Garden

I will mourn the colombines
I must leave behind.
The calendula, the maypop -
whose smell is divine.
The soils I kissed and prayed for
I must hug one last time
and wish them on their merry myccorizial way.

The beds laying barren, I'll grieve the most
because the way they would boast
charmed me so
that they gave me such visions
that filled dreams and kept my heart aflame.

And of all that,
I must leave it there.
I will laissez-fair as much as I can bear
and some of my love and care I will leave there,
but most I will pack up with me
and take elsewhere.

So goodbye to the colombines,
Goodbye to the grapes.
Goodbye to the blueberries,
to the tomatoes on stakes.
Goodbye to the chickens- every last one.
Life for me is elsewhere
and this dream here is done.


For Possibilitarian Garden in Cleveland, OH, May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment