Wednesday, January 16, 2013

From Mine to Ours

We have been talking a lot in our family recently as to what the future looks like for us here.  With so many moving parts, from questions of work, a community for Rosemary, schools?, money, land, commitment, friendships, on and on- so much so that it's become clear that at the moment we cannot commit fully to being here for the long-term.  Which means, my relationship to this land needs to change.

This is a challenge.  Particularly for the fact that I am working with a long-term way of thinking.  I am thinking of tree canopies and depth of topsoil growing, and animals againg, and systems getting established.  Things that take time!  So, for this framework of thinking to change, I am seeing that my goals must change.  Which, as I see it now, is a good thing.

When we moved here, after living in a couple communal type settings of 200+ acres, I was feeling like this was my first "homestead."  The first piece of land that I may be living on for the rest of my life, and eat from, and I care for it, and it cares for me.  As paradisiacal as that may seem, I feel the vision to be somewhat selfish, in that, I have only felt I am ready to share when we have our needs taken care of- our bushel of apples for ourself before we give any away.  Now, this is no good.  I mean, establishing a sustainable local food system is a process that takes time, and to be in it purely for one's own needs, and you miss out on all the beauty of a shared meal with the community.  The stone soup story.  It's been a quality of this vision that I haven't particularly liked, but haven't been sure how to get away from it (isn't that the point of living on a homestead? to provide for all the needs of your family?  and if you don't have all those needs met by the land yet, then how can you give away even more of that harvest?).  This readjustment to the current set of needs feels like it may the be the key to unlocking this dog-like bone-clinging.

It came to me today, as I was sitting and nursing with Rosemary.  I thought- that new garden bed I made with Moe- just before the winter (half) set-in.  It is the first flag posted to mark the start of the community gardening bed with commitment from my neighbor Liz.  The Community Garden element have been wanting to include in the Possibilitarian Garden project, but I've had a list of reasons (or excuses) that have felt like blocks to further the project thus far: it feels like the soil here is so poor, and I want things to grow for people if they're going to garden for the first time, and my selfishness for using any donated soil for my family's own plants.  BUT THIS!  The possibility of not staying here for the long-term.... That means, I need to work my butt off and help to make a nice garden on this street that folks feel ownership of.

When we first moved here, and talked about the community garden idea, several folks were interested.  I'm pretty sure they still are.  Lots of people have family history of farmers, or used to can, pick and grow themselves when they were younger- so there is some knowledge there.  Now, it's just a matter of tapping into that, accessing it, and allowing people to access this land.

When we moved here, no one went on this land.  It was sort of viewed as off-limits, it seems.  But now, the walls have been taken down, and I think it's possible that a garden can really grow here, and that there's a chance that people can feel it is there's.

So, this is what I am going to do - make new garden beds for the community garden.   Talk with Liz, see what she wants to do.  Call a meeting if it seems right, ask folks what they are interested in.  I can start plants for people, help people plant things- even help water and set-up systems to make it possible for people to do what they need to do.  I have been planting things these past two years with perennials in mind, and I'll continue with that with close-eye to these new beds.  So much is possible!

Much to stew on now.  Very exciting and hopeful.

Happy snow-less cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment