Saturday, January 12, 2013

Is it Spring? AND Tree Lawn Transformation

I'm coming from Vermont, and there they call this kind of weather "The January Thaw"- do they have that in Cleveland, or is this what they call "climate change?"

Either way, today's very warm & Springy weather had me out and transplanting, cleaning the chicken coop, digging swales, and planting new things.

I have made the first steps in transforming the tree lawn in front of our house into a Rain Garden.  Water has this amazing way of being invisible, and yet always present in the landscape.  It leaves its mark in slightly (sometimes not so slightly) washed away soil with rocks left and indented pathways.  It may not be there, but when that rain comes- it is there, there, everywhere!  So, water is a big part of conception to consider here.  I have been dreaming about it a lot lately.   Imagining pondways, streams, brooks, rain gardens- like water ways that have a foot bridge over them.  Oh!  It is so enchanting to walk over a water way.

So, today, like  a kid playing at the beach, I dug trenches down the hill to lead them into the rain garden  carved out with big burms and a serpent swale through the center that winds its way down the slope.  Then, with the vigor of the air, I jutted over to my friend Mari, who had some Swamp Rose Mallows waiting for me and a Catalpa tree!  And when I came home, I planted them all: 5 or 6 roses and one catalpa tree on the tree lawns (plus spread some mullein seeds I had all over).  I imagine the catalpa growing tall and acting as a block for the bright street light that shines in our windows at night... I doubt we'll be here long enough to see that to the vision- but hopefully, one day someone will benefit from that- and of course, benefit also from its beauty with its majestic branches, long pods, heart-shaped leaves and sweet flowers.
Northern Catalpa   catalpa20speciosa20fruits.jpg

And the swamp roses!  They will get so big (maybe even up to 7 feet tall)!  and be sort of a flower fortress in front of our house.  It'll be interesting to see and feel how it changes the vibe of people walking by on their way to Buckeye, or mamas with baby strollers, or kids playing in the street.  There is a slight fear of things getting trampled before they have a chance to grow, but I think they'll be okay. We'll see!  They're hearty!

hardy hibiscus; swamp rose-mallowswamprosemallow1m2.jpg

nothing like having Spring on the mind, and planting things when it is January!!

Got be flexible with what you get these days.  Take it or leave it.



No comments:

Post a Comment